Dr. rer. nat. Seyed Ali Amirshahi
Since I am not anymore affiliated with the Computer Vision Group at the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena please visit my personal website for an up to date information about my contact details, current affiliation, research, and publications.
Area of Research:
- Image and Video processing
- Aesthetic quality assessment of paintings
- Image and Video quality assessment
- Image Statistics
- Color Processing
- Spectral data processing
- Optical character Recognition (OCR)
- 2011-2015: Dr. rer. nat, at the Computer Vision Group of the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Germany. Thesis title: "AESTHETIC QUALITY ASSESSMENT OF PAINTINGS" supervised by Professor Joachim Denzler and Professor Christoph Redies.
- 2008-2010: Master of Science in Color in Informatics and MEdia Technology (CIMET) at the University Jean Monnet, Saint-Etienne, France, University of Eastern Finland, Finland and Gjøvik University College, Norway. Thesis title: "TOWARDS A PERCEPTUAL METRIC FOR VIDEO QUALITY ASSESSMENT" supervised by Associated Professor Mohamed-Chaker Larabi and Professor Jon Yngve Hardeberg.
- 2002-2008: Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering at the Department of Electrical Engineering, AmirKabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic), Tehran, Iran. Thesis Title: "EXTRACTING SUBWORDS AND FINDING THE NUMBER AND PLACEMENT OF DOTS IN PERSIAN HANDWRITTEN WORDS" supervised by Professor Karim Faez.
List of publications:
In case you need a copy of the papers please contact me by email.
- J. Abeln, L. Fresz, S. A. Amirshahi, I. C. McManus, M. Koch, H. Kreysa, and C. Redies , "Preference for Well-Balanced Saliency in Details Cropped from Photographs", Frontiers in Human Neuroscience Vol. 9, pp. 704, 2015. (PDF)
- S. A. Amirshahi, G. U. Hayn-Leichsenring, J. Denzler, and C. Redies, "Evaluating the rule of thirds in photographs and paintings", Art & Perception, 2014. (PDF)
- J. Braun, S. A. Amirshahi, J. Denzler and C. Redies, "Statistical image properties of print advertisements, visual artworks and images of architecture", Frontiers in Psychology, Vol. 4, Pages 808, 2013. (PDF)
- T. Melmer, S. A. Amirshahi, M. Koch, J. Denzler and C. Redies, "From regular text to artistic writing and artworks: Fourier statistics of images with low and high aesthetic appeal", Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, Vol. 7 No. 106, 2013. (PDF)
- S. A. Amirshahi and F. Torkamani-Azar, "Human optic sensitivity computation based on singular value decomposition", Optica Applicata, Vol. 42 No.1, 2012. (PDF)
- S. H. Amirshahi and S. A. Amirshahi, "Adaptive non-negative bases for reconstruction of spectral data from colorimetric information", Optical Review, Vol. 17 No. 6, pp 562-569, 2010.
- F. Agahian, S. A. Amirshahi and S. H. Amirshahi, "Reconstruction of reflectance spectra using weighted principal component analysis", Color Research & Application Journal, Vol. 33, No. 5, pp 360-371, 2008.
- S. A. Amirshahi, G. U. Hayn-Leichsenring, J. Denzler, and C. Redies, "JenAesthetics subjective dataset: analyzing paintings by subjective scores", European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), VISART workshop 2014.
- G, H. Leichsenring and S. A. Amirshahi, "Analysis of low-Level image properties of portraits from various art periods", Visual Science of Art Conference (VSAC) 2014
- J. Abeln, L. Fresz, S. A. Amirshahi, C. McManus, M. Koch, H. Kreysa and C. Redies, "Saliency-Based Cropping of Photographs: An Experimental Study", Visual Science of Art Conference (VSAC) 2014.
- S. A. Amirshahi, C. Redies, and J. Denzler, "How self-similar are artworks at different levels of spatial resolution?", Computational Aesthetics 2013 .
- S. A. Amirshahi, G. U. Hayn-Leichsenring, J. Denzler, and C. Redies, "Color: A crucial factor for aesthetic quality assessment in a subjective database of paintings", AIC 2013 (Award-winning poster).
- C. Redies, S. A. Amirshahi, M. Koch and J. Denzler, "PHOG-Derived aesthetic measures applied to color photographs of artworks, natural scenes and objects", European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV) VISART workshop 2012.
- S. A. Amirshahi, C. Redies and J. Denzler, "Assessment of the Rule of Thirds in Photographs Taken by Amateurs", Visual Science of Art Conference (VSAC) 2012.
- S. A. Amirshahi, M. Koch, J. Denzler and C. Redies, "PHOG analysis of self-similarity in esthetic images", IS&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging 2012.
- S. A. Amirshahi and M. C. Larabi, "Spatial-temporal video quality metric based on an estimation of QoE", 3rd International Workshop on Quality of Multimedia Experience, QoMEX 2011. (PDF)
- S. A. Amirshahi and M. C. Larabi, "Comparison of various video quality metrics on different types of video artifacts", 2nd European Workshop on Visual Information Processing, EUVIP 2010.
- S. A. Amirshahi, "A framework for applying image quality metrics on printed images", Colour Research for European Advanced Technology Employment, CREATE 2010. (PDF)
- M. Pedersen and S. A. Amirshahi, "Framework the evaluation of color prints using image quality metrics", 5th European Conference on Color in Graphics, Imaging and Vision, CGIV 2010. (PDF)
- S. Mozaffari, V. Maergner, H. Al-Abed, K. Faez and S. A. Amirshahi, "IfN/Farsi-database: A database of farsi handwritten city names", the International Conference on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition, ICFHR2008. (PDF)
- F. Torkamani-Azar and S. A. Amirshahi, "A new approach for image quality assessment using SVD", 9th International Symposium on Signal Processing and its Applications, ISSPA 2007.
- S. A. Amirshahi, J. Denzler, and C. Redies, "JenAesthetics-a public dataset of paintings for aesthetic research", Tech. rep, Computer Vision Group, university of Jena Germany, 2013.